Welcome guests into your abode with a room that is stylishly decorated and features all the comforts of home …
A guest room should be a welcoming space that combines the amenities of a hotel with the intimacy and charm of a home. To create an inviting design, consider the essentials any traveller would like to find in their home away from home, from a luxurious bed to good lighting, and a space that is comfortable, interesting and peaceful.
Whether you are a seasoned Airbnb host or someone who likes to have friends and family over often, transform a spare room into a guest’s dream by considering these key elements: comfort, style, practicality.
COMFORTABLE AND COSY
Create a welcoming retreat for your guests by following these simple and tried-and-tested tips:
- A greatly prepared bed and several covering options are some of the most important things for your guests’ comfort. Soft (not crisp) cotton or linen sheets, a medium-thick or quilted throw, and a down duvet or woolen blanket will help manage temperatures woes and ensure a relaxing night’s sleep.
- Use hypoallergenic, soft furnishings and bedding wherever possible, and stay clear of scented sticks or air fresheners. To create a restful atmosphere, use subtle scented candles with calming, unisex aromas instead.
- Have black-out or heavy curtains that allow guests to wake up in their own time.
- A plush, thick rug will help disguise a creaking floor and moving noises; and no one wants to walk on cold floors early in the morning.
- If the space is too small to fit a reading or lounging chair, have lots of cushions for guests to sit up in bed in their downtime.
STYLISH AND SOPHISTICATED
Design a space that is clean and serene with a neutral backdrop that will please any taste and make a great first impression…
- For a hotel-style room that is chic and elegant, opt for trans-seasonal furnishings in muted, naturally-relaxing pastels, greys, blues and greens to evoke a feeling of calm and restfulness.
- Dont impose your own decor style in the room, as tastes can be very subjective and someone else might not like a chintzy bedspread that screams shabby chic. Instead, personalise the space with travel souvenirs and family photographs.
- Add colour and interesting features with small removable furnishings like textured cushions and accent rugs, beautifully-shaped lamps and striking wall art.
- Take inspiration from your surroundings to give your guests a taste of where you live. Think urban-bohemian for a centrally-located apartment, coastal style for those living by the sea, or modern country for rural properties where landscape is part of the visiting experience.
- Don’t overwhelm the room with decor items and flowers. Guests will want to be in an airy, relaxing space that is comfortable, practical and not too feminine.
PRETTY AND PRACTICAL
When designing this room, you want to create a comfortable and alluring space without compromising on space and functionality …
- If you don’t like the hotel-style look, and wish to use the room more often, furnish it with extendable sofas or day beds so that it functions as an office or library when not hosting. Smart, double-duty furniture is best for both convenience and comfort.
- While it is a big investment, a small en-suite bathroom is ideal for a spare bedroom, as it will give your guests extra privacy and comfort when away. One of the reasons people prefer to stay in hotels rather than with family or friends is that they have their own space. Plus, we can all use an extra bathroom in the house.
- Light-weight furniture pieces allow guests to move things around easily to create more space. Have a decorative ladder or occasional chair for hanging clothes and bags, trinket trays on a sideboard or bedside table for your guests’ jewellery, wallets, etc.
- Use layered lighting and bedside lamps so that guests can find their way to the bed easily in an unfamiliar space, and lie down with a book or their travel plan at the end of the day.
- Take your cue from five-star hospitality and stock the guest room with travel and morning essentials that are often forgotten so that your guests don’t need to ask you for everything. Go the extra mile to provide phone chargers, box of tissues, a jug of water with glasses, toiletries, books and magazines, slippers.
- Forest green velvet cushion cover, €35. Home|Lust Concept Store, home-lust.com
- Mint green velvet cushion cover, €60. Lamb Design, lambdesign.ie
- YPPERLIG cushion cover, €5, HAY | IKEA collaboration, ikea.ie
Linea Create Klee block colour cushion cover, €20. House of Fraser, houseoffraser.co.uk
- Geometric cushion, €30. Harvey Norman, harveynorman.ie
- Grey sheepskin cushion, €67.50. Debenhams, debenhams.ie
- Pure New Zealand wool throw, €130. Lamb Design, lambdesign.ie
- Pure Irish wool throw in Moss, €84.95. McNutt of Donegal and selected stockists, mcnuttofdonegal.com
- Pure Irish wool throw in Tangerine Stripe, €84.95. McNutt of Donegal and selected stockists, mcnuttofdonegal.com
- Striped soft wool blanket, €49. Woo Design, woodesign.ie
Polkadot Silver Throw, 7. Penneys, primark.com/en-ie
- Jaipur throw, €260. Arnotts, arnotts.ie
- Large brass mirror, from €299. Home|Lust Concept Store, home-lust.com
- UFO Blue table lamp, €56. Casey’s Furniture, caseys.ie
- Dark blue vase with gold base, €43. Amara, amara.com
- Kaleido tray in dark green , €29. COS X HAY, cosstores.com/ie
- Bud vases, from €6.95. Article, articledublin.com
- Metallic Lamp, €54.99. Homesense, homesense.ie
- Ivy Table Lamp, €109. Woo Design, woodesign.ie
- Poolbeg Chimneys art print, from €20. Jando design, jandodesign.com and selected stockists.
- Stockholm 2017 rug, €185. IKEA, ikea.ie
- Faux sheepskin rug, €10. Penneys, primark.com/en-ie
- NÖDEBO rug, €270. IKEA, ikea.ie
- PEAS rug, €715. HAY, inreda.ie
- SALTBÄK rug, €125. IKEA, ikea.ie
- Geometric Rug, €89.99. Homesense, homesense.ie
- Light or dark Grey Daybed, from €1,519. Woo Design, woodesign.ie
- Napoli sofa bed, €1,299. Harvey Norman, harveynorman.ie
- YPPERLIG sofa bed, €595. HAY X IKEA, ikea.ie
- Fama modular sofa, POA. Check fama.es/find-your-store.html for stockists throughout Ireland.
- SANDWICH sofa bed, from €214.65. Wordans, wordans.ie
- Heart of House 100% Cotton ‘Duck Egg’ Bedding Set – Double, from €27.49. Argos, argos.ie
- Brooklyn Map Bed Set, from €26. Next, next.ie
- Ben de Lisi ‘Luna’ bedding set, from € 38. Debenhams, debenhams.ie
- RJR.John Rocha Blue printed ‘Tide’ bedding set. From € 52. Debenhams, debenhams.ie
- Patterned duvet cover set, €39.99. H&M, hm.com/en_ie