Stockholm Design Week, the world’s largest fair for Scandinavian furniture and homewares design, finished this week and had us all buzzing with excitement.
The greats of Scandinavian design, such as String and Carl Hansen, have had design bloggers raving with their gorgeous stands, and we love the new homewares range from&Tradition. Also, this year, the fair is being chaired by London designer Ilse Crawford(studioilse.com) fresh from her collaboration on IKEA’s latest collection, and one of the people responsible for popularising Nordic design in Europe (see her work below).
Below are five Stockholm Design Week products we fell in love with.
1. String is a smart, robust, adjustable and flexible storage and shelving system that can lend itself to any space, whatever the size and has been flying the flag for Scandinavian smart storage from 1949. It combines the charm of mid-century Nordic design with the robust flexibility of contemporary lightweight storage systems from the likes of IKEA (string.se).
2. Carl Hansen & Søn is a third-generation furniture-making company from Denmark that popularised the enduring Danish-designed “Wishbone” and “Elbow” chairs of Hans J. Wegner. Going strong from 1908, they are a much-copied stalwart of Nordic design producing high-end slim-line seating in elegant and surprising shapes that appear in many of our house tours(carlhansen.com).
3. &Tradition’s new “True Colors” range comprises seven different vases designed by Dutch award-winning wizzkid Lex Pott and would be a welcome addition to any home design scheme. Using vivid colours, brass, copper, steel and aluminium, the vases are as simple as they are striking (andtradition.com).
4. “Fisherman” is a pendant lamp by established family-owned Swedish company Zero that uses a handmade net in white, orange or natural colours and is reminiscent of old glass fishing floats. You can see this statement lighting piece in places like Google’s London office (zerolighting.com).
5. We love the new spring collection from Cane Line, a leading European producer of luxury woven garden furniture with an established outlet in Ireland (cane-line.ie).
stockholmfurniturefair.com, northernlightfair.com, stockholmdesignweek.com